Riddles are excellent because they make you think outside of the box. The brain teasers may stump you, but you’ll have the answers.
If you need a break or brain teasers to share with kids, riddles are the answer.
Like trivia questions, riddles encourage creative thinking for adults and kids alike.
Some are trickier than others. But, a challenge will boost problem-solving skills.
The following are the best riddles with answers in case you get stumped.
Related: The Best Knock-Knock Jokes
The best riddles with answers
1. What month of the year has 28 days?
All of them.
2. Where does today come before yesterday?
3. Sarah’s mom has three daughters. The first two are Kara and Tara, what’s her third daughter’s name?
4. What can you put between 0 and 1 to make the result greater than 0 but less than 1?
5. There’s a basket filled with 100 berries. Your brother takes 5 berries, your cousin takes 18, and you take 24 berries. How many berries do you have left?
Related: Funny Fruit Puns That Are Pear-fect
6. What has to be broken before you use it?
7. What has legs and can’t walk?
Related: Hilarious Furniture Puns
8. What question can you never answer yes to?
Are you asleep?
9. I have cities, mountains, roads, but no people. What am I?
10. There’s a room filled with people. You turn away and look back. Now, there’s not a single person. What happened?
They all became couples.
11. What disappears when you say its name?
12. What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, and never in a hundred years?
The letter “M”.
13. What two things can’t be eaten for breakfast?
Lunch and dinner.
14. There’s one word in the dictionary that’s spelled incorrectly. What is it?
The word “incorrectly”.
15. What kind of coat has to dry before you can touch it?
A coat of paint.
16. You can use me to look through a wall. What am I?
17. What five-letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
18. What’s heavy, but backward is not?
19. What talks and only repeats what you say?
20. What’s in front of you and can’t be seen?
21. What has a ring but no finger?
22. What was a head but no neck?
23. What has a bank but no money?
24. What has an eye but can’t see?
25. What goes from Z to A?
26. What can fill a room but take up no space?
27. What can fly without wings?
28. What has 13 hearts but no organs?
A deck of playing cards.
29. What has four fingers and a thumb, but isn’t alive?
30. What has 88 keys but can’t open a door?
31. What can run but can’t walk?
32. What can grow but isn’t alive?
33. What has space but no room?
34. What’s black when it’s clean?
35. What has a face and two hands but isn’t alive?
36. What kind of table doesn’t have legs?
The Periodic Table.
37. What holds water but is full of holes?
38. What has six faces and twenty-one eyes but can’t see?
A die (dice).
39. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what has the highest mountain on Earth?
40. What’s in seasons, seconds, centuries, and minutes, but not in decades, years, or days?
The letter N.
41. I’m tall when I’m young and short when I’m old. What am I?
42. Jim has six daughters, and each has a brother. How many children does Jim have?
Seven. Jim has six daughters and one son.
43. The more of me you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?
44. David’s father has three sons, Snap, Crackle, and who’s the third son?
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
46. Which way has no one ever walked?
The Milky Way.
Related: The Funniest Space Puns
47. How can you throw a ball as hard as you can to have it come back to you without bouncing off of anything?
Throw it up into the air.
48. What breaks but never falls, and what falls but never breaks?
Dusk and dawn.
49. What gets wetter as it dries?
50. Smile at me, and I’ll always smile back. But if you drop me, I’ll crack. What am I?
51. What building has the most stories?
52. What has teeth but can’t bite?
53. What can you keep after giving it to someone?
54. How is it possible that a man can stand in the rain without a hood or umbrella and not get a single hair on his head wet?
55. What has a bottom at the top?
56. What has words but never speaks?
57. What runs around the whole yard but doesn’t move?
58. What kind of cheese is made backwards?
Related: Grate Cheese Puns
59. What has three feet but can’t walk?
60. What kind of ship has two mates but no captain?
61. What’s harder to catch the faster you run?
62. I’m an odd number. Take away a letter, and I become even. What number am I?
63. If an electric train is traveling west, which way is the smoke going?
There’s no smoke because it’s an electric train.
64. If you’re running a race and pass the person in second, what place are you in?
65. What vehicle is spelled the same backward and forward?
66. What gets bigger when more is taken away?
67. What can you break without touching?
68. What has a head and a tail but no body?
69. A bus driver goes the wrong way on a one-way street. He passes the cops, but they don’t stop him. Why?
The bus driver was walking.
70. If your uncle’s sister isn’t your aunt, who is she?
71. What can you always find on the ground that never gets dirty?
72. Who has married many people but never been married?
Related: The Funniest Bible Jokes
73. What travels around the world but stays in a corner?
74. The more of it, the less you see. What is it?
75. What can you catch but not throw?
76. Two people are born at the same moment but don’t have the same birthdays. Why?
They were born in different time zones.
77. What goes up and down but doesn’t move?
78. What has ten letters and starts with gas?
79. How high do you have to drop a glass to break a concrete floor?
A glass can’t break a concrete floor.
80. What feeds people but can’t eat?
81. I have branches but no fruit, leaves, or trunk. What am I?
82. What tastes better than it smells?
- Hard riddles with answers
- The best riddles (with answers) for kids
- The best food riddles
- Funny jokes for kids
Featured image courtesy of Canva.
About David Em
David Em is the founder of Box of Puns, which he created to add more laughter and humor to life.